Not everyone is cut out for living in a city. The tall buildings feel suffocating and the constant rush of noise and light is overwhelming. The city isn’t for everyone and those who grow up in the countryside often cannot fathom why anyone would want to live somewhere that is never quite dark and never quite quiet. They prefer living rurally.
If you have moved from the country to the city, you’re going to feel like a fish out of water – and the reverse is true, too. So many people who grow up in the city make a dream out of the idea of rural living, but they don’t realize that they will have to find the best outdoor TV antenna to even get the regular channels! Before you uproot your life to move from the city to the countryside, you need to know if you can stomach living rurally or not. Below, we’ve put together some signs that will help you to learn whether you are ready for rural life.
Signs You’re Ready for Living Rurally
- You are happy to get dirty. Being in the countryside and in the sticks is one of the most fun ways to get dirty. In the city, we’re always averse to dirt. In the country, it’s all about pulling on your boots and getting into the mud. You’ll be working your homestead and you need to be okay with getting mucky from time to time.
- You can live without electronics. Okay, so you won’t be completely without electricity in the countryside, but you will find it a little slower! You may not get all of the TV channels. But, you may not get that super-fast internet speed, but you will be in the countryside and the whole point is that you can get back to basics.
- You have some savings. For some people, the idea of living rurally is a little daydream. It’s cute and it’s glorified, and everyone has the quaint idea of the country in their heads. However, if you’re going to head into rural living, you need to consider whether you have savings around you to get back into the city if you really don’t like it!
- You’re flexible. You need to be ready for anything when it comes to living in the countryside. Also, you have to remember that there may not be streetlights on those country roads. You have to be ready for anything. You have to pack your car and be ready for breakdowns on the road. Know that you have everything ready in case you do break down! Maybe you should also consider ensuring that you are saving water. You should be able to sustain your home in the event of a power outage.
- You can ask for help. When you are living rurally, you’re more likely to need to get to know the seasoned neighbors. Even if they do live a little further down the road from you. Get used to asking people for help who have lived in the countryside for a while.
So, do you think you are ready for living rurally? If so, find that country home and get started on your new journey today!