6 Common Electrical Hazards and How to Avoid Them

Electricity is an essential component of modern homes in Pennsylvania. We rely on it for lighting, heating, and powering our gadgets and appliances. However, electricity can be dangerous if not handled correctly. Electrical hazards in the home can lead to fires, shocks, and electrocutions. Therefore, it is crucial to be aware of the common electrical hazards in your home and take measures to prevent them.

Here are six common electrical hazards and how to avoid them.

Electrical fire hazard

1. Overloaded outlets and extension cords

Overloading an outlet or extension cord with too many appliances or devices can cause a fire. This is because an overload can cause the wires to overheat and ignite.

To prevent this hazard, use only one appliance or device per outlet, and avoid daisy-chaining extension cords. Also, avoid using cheap, low-quality extension cords, as they may not be able to handle the electrical load.

Overloaded electrical cords

2. Damaged cords and cables

Damaged cords and cables are another common electrical hazard. Frayed or exposed wires can cause a shock or start a fire.

So, make sure to regularly check your cords and cables for signs of wear and tear. If you notice any damage, replace the cord or cable immediately. Avoid running cords under carpets or rugs, as this can cause them to overheat.

Electrical cord chewed through by a mouse

3. DIY electrical work

Many homeowners in Pennsylvania attempt DIY electrical work to save money. However, this is a dangerous practice that can lead to electrocution or fire. If you need electrical work done in your home, hiring a licensed electrician in Levittown, PA can be your best bet.

Electrical work should be left to licensed professionals who have the training and experience to do it safely.

Homeowner wiring a plug

4. Water and electricity

Water and electricity do not mix. Exposure to water can cause electrical shocks, which can be fatal. Therefore, it is crucial to keep electrical appliances and outlets away from water sources, such as sinks, bathtubs, and swimming pools.

If you use an electrical appliance near water, make sure it is designed for that purpose and has safety features, such as a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).

Man installing a GFI

5. Outdated electrical appliances

Outdated electrical appliances are another common electrical hazard in the home. These appliances can be a fire hazard and can also cause electrical shocks.

Thus, it is important to regularly check the condition of your electrical appliances and replace any outdated or damaged appliances. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the use and maintenance of your electrical appliances.

Burnt appliance

6. Overloaded circuits

Overloading a circuit can cause the circuit breaker to trip, which is a safety mechanism designed to prevent overheating and fires. However, if the circuit breaker fails to trip, it can cause the wires to overheat and ignite.

To prevent this hazard, avoid plugging too many appliances or devices into one circuit. If you notice that the circuit breaker is frequently tripping, you may need to install additional circuits or upgrade your electrical panel.

Overloaded circuit

Summing Up

Electrical safety is an important aspect of home safety that should not be overlooked. Remember to always hire a qualified electrician for electrical repairs and installations and to use electrical devices with caution and care. Stay safe and happy at home!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.