15 Acre Homestead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post may contain affiliate links.
Coffee is still an essential for most people’s morning routines, but did you know that the coffee grounds left over after brewing that cup of caffeine has a purpose too? Coffee grounds can be used for health and beauty reasons, pest control, air freshers, and even DIY crafts.
So next time you brew that cup of coffee, or get ready to throw away that K-cup, stop, bag up those grounds and read this post!
25 Uses for Coffee Grounds
Using Coffee Grounds Outside the Home
- Added to the soil around plants to keep ants, slugs, and other pests away from plants.
- Added to the compost pile, works as green matter.
- Mixed with carrot and radish seeds at planting allows them to grow better and stronger.
- Reduces the acidity in soil by mixing coffee grounds with grass clippings and dry straw then spreading into the soil.
- Lowers the Ph in the soil which will turn your Hydrangea’s blue.
- Attracts worms to the garden and compost pile.
- Keeps cats out of the garden when mixed with orange peels.
- Melts ice on winter sidewalks and even provides more traction.
Using Coffee Grounds Inside the Home
- Absorbs odors in the fridge and freezer when placed in a bowl similar to baking soda.
- Works like an abrasive cleaner for scrubbing pots when sprinkled on a wet cloth.
- Weighs down ashes in wood stove and fireplace for easier cleaning.
- Prevents straight pins from rusting when placed inside a pin cushion. (new, not used grounds)
- Rid’s the smell of onions and garlic on your hands when mixed with water and rubbed over palms.
- Unclogs sink drains when mixed with hot water in drains and allowed to sit 10 minutes.
- Freshens air when placed into doubled-up nylons and tied off then hung.
Using Coffee Grounds for Health and Beauty
- Reduces bags under eyes when wet grounds are applied under-eye and left to sit 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Repels fleas on dogs when added to their shampoo.
- Reduces cellulite when mixed with warm water and rubbed firmly over cellulite 2x a week for 4 weeks.
- Eliminates the residue from hair care products when massaged into wet hair before shampooing.
- Produces a caffeinated soap when mixed with soap base at trace.
- Provides an alpha-hydroxy and antioxidant face wash when you mix 2 Tbsp coffee grounds, 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, 3 Tbsp milk or heavy cream and 1 tsp. honey.
- Exfoliates skin when added to coconut oil.
Using Coffee Grounds for Crafts/DIY Projects
- Makes “dirt” when added to playdough for the kids.
- Dyes fabric and paper when wet or soaked in water.
- Stains wood to look weathered when 1 Tbsp of grounds are added to a jar of white vinegar and left to sit 24 hours.
Now you have 25 reasons to save those brewed grounds on your homestead. Do you have other uses for grounds? Share them with my readers!