Coconut oil has to be the most versatile product on the planet. It is healthy for humans and animals, isn’t expensive, and a little goes a long way.
I go through coconut oil like some people go through water. I buy it in bulk from Amazon. Slowly, I am becoming the coconut oil guru in my family so I thought I would share some of the hundreds of uses here with you today.
77 Uses for Coconut Oil
- Use in place of regular conditioner.
- Leave-in conditioner. Apply to your hair, wait 20 minutes and rinse.
- Use to rid hair of lice. Apply to your hair and comb with a very fine comb.
- Use as a detangler on children or adults with bad knots.
- Prevents split ends.
- Reduces dandruff when used regularly.
- Use as moisturizer like cream.
- Mix 1/2 c. coconut oil with 2 Tbsp of brown sugar to use as an exfoliating scrub.
- Can be used as a massage oil.
- Use as shaving cream.
- Use as a bath oil.
- Used as a base in many beauty products.
- Fades sun spots if rubbed on spots daily.
- Reduces bags under the eyes. Apply overnight.
- Prevents stretch marks when used regularly.
- Reduces fine lines
- Good for new tattoos.
- Fights acne.
- Can be used as a lip balm with an SPF of 4 to 6.
- Great for nails and cuticles.
- Makes an excellent deodorant. Mix 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil and 1 Tbsp arrowroot.
- Can be swished as a mouthwash.
- Mix with Baking soda for a toothpaste.
- Applied to eyelashes will make them grow stronger and longer.
- Cleans makeup brushes. Just melt, dip and rinse.
- Acts as a natural fungicide.
- Keeps cold sores from spreading.
- Soothes rashes.
- Can be mixed with Peppermint essential oils for a DIY Vapor Rub.
- Can be used with honey as an antibacterial salve.
- Relieves arthritis when rubbed on the affected area.
- Fights athletes foot when used daily.
- Swallow 1 tsp. daily up to 3x per day for a sore throat.
- Can cure ringworm when used like a cream.
Health Treatments and Prevention
- Lowers cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.
- Reduces the risks of Alzheimers Disease.
- 1 Tbsp every morning before eating aides in digestion.
- Can be used as a personal lubricant.
- Boosts mental alertness, energy booster.
- 2 Tbsp will cure appetite cravings.
Babies and Maternity
- Can be used as a nipple cream while breastfeeding.
- Use as a diaper ointment.
- Can be used to cure cradle cap.
- Can be used for teething. Mix 2 tsp whole cloves and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut oil, place on low heat for 1 hour. Rub on gums when cool.
Pet and Animal Treatments
- Cleans dogs ears.
- Stops itching in dogs. Start with 1/2 tsp. per day up to 1 Tbsp for up to 40+ lbs.
- Soothes bites from insects.
- Can be rubbed on cats paws to reduce hairballs.
- Can be mixed with peanut butter and frozen for dog treats.
- Acts as a bug repellant.
- Can be used as an udder cream.
- Soothes bee stings.
- Repairs cracked paws in dogs.
Cleaning and Household Uses
- Used as a soap base, adds hardness to soaps and helps break down grease and oils.
- Works as a wood polish.
- Use as a leather polish.
- Removes chewing gum.
- Removes soap scum. Rub on a thin layer, let sit 20 minutes, wipe clean.
- Use a small motor lubricant.
- Use as metal polish.
- Removes ink off of hands.
- Use to detail your car. Use like Armor-all.
- Removes rust. Spread, let sit 1 to 2 hours, wipe.
- Use as a stain preventer on Tupperware. Wipe on, let dry.
- Used as a dust repellent.
- Removes pine sap.
- Will unstick a zipper.
- Stops squeaky hinges.
- Maintains lawnmower blades.
- Lubricates kitchen appliances.
- Makes lather in shampoos and conditioners.
In the Kitchen
- Use as a coffee creamer.
- Use as a butter replacement.
- Seasons cast iron skillets. Coat pan and place in an oven heated to 350º oven for 1 hour. Repeat as necessary.
- Use as a cutting board conditioner.
- Paint on eggs to protect the shells and extend the shelf life up to 3 weeks longer.
- Substitute for other oils when baking. Use 80% oil and 20% water.
There are many uses for coconut oil. It can soothe, moisturize, and even heal both humans and animals. Do you use coconut oil in your home? Please share your thoughts and comments below.